Please note: if you wish to find out more information and to apply for this Trainee Train Driver position you will need to click on the following link and complete the Acorn Application process – we cannot accept or process any applications made via this site.
If you have been through the interview or assessment process for a Trainee Train Driver role (in any location) within the last six months and were unsuccessful, then please do not re-apply as we’re sorry to say that we will not reconsider your application
Now is a great time to join Transport for Wales. We’re busy transforming the railway and as a trainee train driver you could be an important part of the journey.
No previous experience is needed for the role as our comprehensive training programme will prepare you for all that may come your way. What matters is that you are over 21 years of age and share our passion for keeping Wales moving. You need to live within one hour of your chosen depot, instinctively put safety first and understand the importance of great customer service, strong performance, rules and regulations.
For the right person, this can be the start of a fantastic career. We’ll support you every step of the way with ongoing training and professional development. We also offer a very competitive salary package that includes an excellent pension and free rail travel on our services for you and your dependents.
As a trainee train driver you will spend lots of time on your own in the cab at the front of a train. However, we work really hard to make sure that all of our drivers feel part of the wider team and get to benefit from regular communication and training.
Our training team will prepare you for all responsibilities of the role, which will include:
· Moving trains between our various stations and depots safely
· Learning and understanding nationally agreed rules, regulations and operational instructions
· Responding to out of course situations as they arise and carrying out emergency procedures in accordance with rules and regulations
· Complying with the 'Drivers' Safety Responsibility Statement
· Completing written and verbal reports
· Participating in ongoing training as required
To be successful in this training, we are looking for people who:
· Understand the importance of rules, regulations and strict instructions
· Can concentrate for long periods of time
· Remain cool, calm and responsible under pressure
· Share our commitment to delivering great customer service
· Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
Other essential requirements for the role:
· You must live within one hour of your chosen depot
· You must be 21 or over for legal purposes (applications will be accepted from candidates who are 20 years old, however you will not be able to commence shift work until you turn 21)
Transport for Wales - Rail Services recognises its responsibilities with regard to the integrity and security of Personal Data and information collected during the recruitment process in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (as amended) (the "Data Protection Legislation").
By accepting these Terms and consenting below, you agree that the information contained in your application and any other personal information obtained about you during the recruitment process ("Personal Data"), which may include Sensitive Personal Data (as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998), may be used by Transport for Wales - Rail Services and its affiliates for any purpose regarding your application. These purposes will include: recruitment activities related to this (or any future) vacancy; management and administration requirements; if you are offered a role with us we are permitted to use information collected during the recruitment process for the purpose of making the offer and to manage your on-going employment with us; and for compliance with any procedures, laws and regulations to which Transport for Wales - Rail Services is subject.
If you are offered a role with us then we will also undertake pre-employment checks, which may include, but not be limited to, checking your credit history, criminal records checks, address, academic qualifications and employer references.Accept & Continue
We have recently experienced technical issues which are now resolved. Please can we ask for all who received an email to reset their password, to complete using the link provided within the email, or use the 'forgotten password' within the system. We apologies for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience at this time. The Recruitment TeamAccept & Continue